It is currently Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:01 pm
Post a new topicPost a reply Page 3 of 4   [ 48 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 3:50 am 
Yellow Devil
Yellow Devil

Correct me if this is wrong, but is this the first time in any mega man canon that Protoman has reconciled with Light? As far as I know, in the games and the comics, Protoman still harbors resentment towards Light, not allowing him to repair him and never talking to him. In the Worlds Colide arc of the Mega Man Archie comics, he refuses to let Light repair him, only relenting when Roll offers that she will repair him, not Light. As for the games, he never talks to light in any of the games.

Compare this to the lyrics of Melody from the past:
An apology so sorry for the man he was
"For the father he couldn’t be
That I would not be what I was built to be
If I had a heart it would have broken to see his face
To see my family
And The One who took my place"

"What was filled with rage finally understands
Man is not without mistake
Unlike that which he builds from his hands"

"Do not blame father
He is only a man"

These sections seem to imply that Dr Light got to talk things through with Protoman, and that Proto, in some way or form, accepted his apology.

"How can there be peace while two sides stand? You're a machine who calls himself a man. You fight for a dream that can never be, Your arguments are noise, it's time to make your choice!"-Make Your Choice, History Repeating: Red

OfflineProfile
PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 10:44 am 
Sniper Joe
Sniper Joe

No, I don't think he reconciled or has let go of his resentment.

IMO, this is a dual thought. He needs to reconcile his feelings to resolve a cognitive dissonance. Either he needs to hate both Light and Wily, or let go of his seething rage at both of them. It moves from hate and anger to mere resentment towards Light and a vague sense of obligation towards Wily.

OfflineProfile
PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 11:10 am 
Yellow Devil
Yellow Devil

DepricatedZero wrote:

IMO, this is a dual thought. He needs to reconcile his feelings to resolve a cognitive dissonance. Either he needs to hate both Light and Wily, or let go of his seething rage at both of them. It moves from hate and anger to mere resentment towards Light and a vague sense of obligation towards Wily.

On top of that there is the fact that he couldn't properly reconcile with Light as he couldn't even bear to come face to face with him.
"If I had a heart, it would have broken to see to see his face
To see my family, and the one who took my place."

OfflineProfile
PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 2:12 pm 
Telly
Telly

ShadowZero wrote:
DepricatedZero wrote:

On top of that there is the fact that he couldn't properly reconcile with Light as he couldn't even bear to come face to face with him.
"If I had a heart, it would have broken to see to see his face
To see my family, and the one who took my place."

But I thought the song was clear that Light apologized to him

OfflineProfile
PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 10:29 pm 
BUFF McWhalen

I think the whole apology bit is pretty ambiguous. Who it comes from, what it's for, whether it actually happened or whether it's simply an acknowledgement that one is merely in order.

OfflineProfile
PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 9:11 pm 
* Fox

Well one big point is that in the games Megaman never finds out Proto is Blues. He doesn't know he's his brother.
Megaman 7 is mistranslated garbage so don't try citing that.

OfflineProfile
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 1:20 pm 
Telly
Telly

LockableFaceman wrote:
Well one big point is that in the games Megaman never finds out Proto is Blues. He doesn't know he's his brother.
Megaman 7 is mistranslated garbage so don't try citing that.

Yeah but In The Megas Cannon They both go out of their way to call themselves brothers, I don't think They were thinking game cannon with this song.

OfflineProfile
PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 12:02 pm 
Telly
Telly

Am I alone her but I kind of like to imagine that Megaman is singing this song to a dead protoman, making it a bit of a lager tear jerker

OfflineProfile
PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 2:20 pm 
Burgermeister

The lyrics don't even match that at all though.

OfflineProfile
PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 2:56 pm 
Telly
Telly

Comm.BA wrote:
The lyrics don't even match that at all though.

I know i just like to imagine it

OfflineProfile
PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 10:19 pm 
Spare Nuts and Bolts

So this has probably been thought of before, but I just realized what the Melody From the Past is. It's Protoman's whistle. But I think the interesting part here is that they describe the origins of the whistle theme.

"There is a song I hear
A melody from the past
When I woke for the first time
When I slept for the last"

So I'm gonna pull a bit from Mega Man Gigamix and assume that the whistle is the melody of a blues record that Dr. Light showed a young Blues, and say this is canon in the Megas universe as well. This would drive home the reconciling with Light theme a bit.

OfflineProfile
PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 11:07 am 
Wily Machine
Wily Machine

"An apology. So sorry for the man he was"

I personally see this as Protoman apologizing to Megaman for Dr. Light's flaws. A little bit of tongue-in-cheek, but also honest and remorseful, it's telling Megaman that he has to get used to his father making grave errors. He's a human.

That, or it's Protoman imagining what Dr. Light would say. But it's clear both from cannon and this song that Protoman never actually sees Light face to face after the fall of Gamma. Protoman still doesn't want to see the man, to talk with his 'father'. So whatever the apology is, it's either

1. Proto apologizing to Megaman for the shit Mega has to go through (and the fact that Protoman won't take a hand - it's an apology for the whole of MM2 and MM3 and that Dr. Light in his 'wisdom' as a human let Megaman shoulder the burden all by himself) or

2. Proto hypothesizing (somewhat sarcastically) what Dr. Light would say to him.

I do get the feeling that Protoman has come to terms with his angst and rage - he understands that he can make his own place. He's absolutely reconciled his robot fatalism and has decided he can make his own place in the world. He also understands that Dr. Light does make mistakes, so I think he comes out of "Melody from the Past" with a less harsh view of Dr. Light. I would not, however, say that Melody from the Past implies that Protoman has a positive view of Light - only a less negative one. He finally sees Dr. Light as a man with good intentions, but Protoman still probably feels that good intentions don't make a good person. But, before, I think Protoman didn't even think that Dr. Light had good intentions.

Also I like the protowhistle being a song that was playing when Dr. Light created Blues. King Notabi, I think that is an excellent suggestion ;)

3. Do not try to fit parts of your body in the hole of your Compact Disc.

OfflineProfile
PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 11:43 am 
Spare Nuts and Bolts

Yeahup that's basically what I figured it was.

Protoman recognises that Light has mistreated Mega by sending him to war, using him as a weapon over and over again. Especially now he has been intended to kill Wily.

So he's apologising because he knows humanity is flawed and for what Light's done.
After seeing Mega spare Wily he's resolved that humanity must be worth saving if they can make a machine like Mega who knows when to do the right thing.

"Man is not without mistakes unlike that which he builds from his hands"

So he's still got a bit of "robot superiority" about him but he's accepting that humanity is flawed and that perhaps maybe Light made a mistake in what he did to Protoman.

Though the protowhistle being the song theory makes sense with the "When I work for the first time, when I slept for the last" because that line had been troubling me for sometime.

OfflineProfile
PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 12:38 pm 
BUFF McWhalen

I don't really know how to reconcile this with canon or some of the things various characters say, but the line "unlike that which he builds from his hands" seems to mean, to me at least, that robots will perfectly execute what they've been programmed to be, which means they only way THEY can fail is to have been programmed by a failure.

This isn't to say that they blindly "walk the program" necessarily, but if Mega Man was programmed (on purpose or by accident) with a pure and perfect sense of justice, then he will become the embodiment of that concept, even if Dr. Light has an imperfect view of what that might mean (ie. asking him to kill Wily)

Proto Man debatably received defective directives/programming/hardware/whatever, and therefore is an example of a perfect representation of those imperfections. "That I could not be what he was built to be"

OfflineProfile
PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 1:20 am 
Spare Nuts and Bolts

Also, I was listening to the album again tonight, I think I hear a metronome after the line "...so very... flawed."
I swear I hear a "new measure" beep followed by two regular beeps.
Sounds out of place. I choose to believe it's a metronome.
Maybe The Megas did it on purpose. 'Cause it's "flawed."

OfflineProfile
Post a new topicPost a reply Page 3 of 4   [ 48 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next