It is currently Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:43 pm
Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 14 posts ]
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 3:11 am 
* Fox

Question. Do the robots in The Megas world live by these rules?

Quote:
According to the game's franchise, in the year 20XX, robotics genius Dr. Thomas Light worked to create a humanoid robot (though in some direct translations he is referred to as a cyborg). This robot would demonstrate an advanced artificial intelligence program that would allow it to make decisions for itself based on stimulus and basic directions. He called the robot project "Robot Master", because the resulting robot would be able to supervise the work of other, less intelligent machines.

That said very few robots have this revolutionary programming. The Robot Masters and Gamma.

That's really all I have. I don't think we have enough to say whether or not they live with a guideline like this. Perhaps their personalities alone are the guideline set in place? If they are by nature pacifistic then they would not want to kill.
It's said Wily has ended lives in (I Want to be the One) To Watch You Die but it is not said how. Previous songs may suggest that the Robot Masters kill. But we'll never know.

Another question. Is The Megas Megaman capable of free will?

He very obviously ignores his father's orders. He chooses not to kill and that man or machine can always turn around their lives and repent their sins. Not only did he make a decision but he acted on it despite orders.

OfflineProfile
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 6:45 am 
Mettaur
Mettaur

Dr. Light wants Mega Man to kill a human, now if we are going to go with the Three laws of Robotics, let us see.

1. A robot may not injure a Human being or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.(This means he cannot KILL Dr. Wily)

2. A robot must obey the orders given to it by human beings, except where such orders would conflict with the first Law(This means he cannot OBEY Dr. Wily)

3. A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law.(This means that if Wily attacks him, Mega will be forced to fight.)

0. A robot may not harm humanity, or by inaction, allow humanity to come to harm.(Since he cannot kill Wily, all he can do is stop him and this is the law that keeps Mega Man fighting for everlasting peace.)]

So really in accordance with the fact that he is unwilling to kill Dr. Albert Wily, he is acting within the Three(Technically four) Laws of robotics.

If you get the reference, you get a cookie!

OfflineProfile
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 6:57 am 
Yellow Devil
Yellow Devil

Yula wrote:
Dr. Light wants Mega Man to kill a human, now if we are going to go with the Three laws of Robotics, let us see.

1. A robot may not injure a Human being or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.(This means he cannot KILL Dr. Wily)

2. A robot must obey the orders given to it by human beings, except where such orders would conflict with the first Law(This means he cannot OBEY Dr. Wily)

3. A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law.(This means that if Wily attacks him, Mega will be forced to fight.)

0. A robot may not harm humanity, or by inaction, allow humanity to come to harm.(Since he cannot kill Wily, all he can do is stop him and this is the law that keeps Mega Man fighting for everlasting peace.)]

So really in accordance with the fact that he is unwilling to kill Dr. Albert Wily, he is acting within the Three(Technically four) Laws of robotics.

The zeroth law is also stated as "A robot may not harm a human being, unless he finds a way to prove that ultimately the harm done would benefit humanity in general!" (Which means if Megaman can prove that Wily is a greater threat to humanity as a whole, he can kill wily)

"How can there be peace while two sides stand? You're a machine who calls himself a man. You fight for a dream that can never be, Your arguments are noise, it's time to make your choice!"-Make Your Choice, History Repeating: Red

OfflineProfile
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 7:06 am 
Sniper Joe
Sniper Joe

Kind of.

Asimov's Three Laws of Robotics, iirc, are

1) A robot cannot harm a human or allow a human to come to harm
2) A robot must obey orders given to it by a human
3) A robot must protect itself except where doing so would violate one of the first two laws.

It would be REALLY HARD for any of the Robots, from Metools to Snapper Joes and Robot Masters, to pose a threat to humanity in the way they do both in the video games and the Megas music, with these three laws in place.

It's likely that removal of those laws could be part of Wily's reprogramming. But Mega Man, we know, isn't affected by them either. Mega Man almost kills Wily at the end of Mega Man 7, where Wily says "You forget that robots cannot harm humans" (or something like that) and he shouts back, "I'm more than a Robot! Die!" Then the collapsing castle (because Wily is always a load bearing boss) falls in on Wily and Bass tells Mega Man to run or something like that...it's been a while since I played 7.

So I think Mega Man is not programmed with the Laws of Robotics - which could also be in accord with the Dr. Light creating Mega Man to be more than a robot, to be his son, motif. Rock has free will (it's not just a ruse).

Now, I think X was built without them, and as the Reploids are built on X's design, they likewise are not subject to the Laws of Robotics. It's likely that the Sigma Virus is refined from the code used to corrupt the Robot Masters, combined with MM10's Roboenza. This would explain why the Mechaniloids have such programming overwritten.

It's clear, though, that by the time of Mega Man Zero the Laws of Robotics are completely gone, as we see the good Reploids of Neo Arcadia massacre the human resistance.

The two Doctors left quite a legacy, eh?

OfflineProfile
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 8:00 am 
BUFF McWhalen

MMKB wrote:
In 200X-20XX, robots such as Mega Man were not entirely capable of free will. For example, Dr. Wily's Robot Masters were capable of limited thought and moral decisions which lead to such things as hobbies and preferences, though these aspects were already set in their programming, giving the programmer some kind of status as a god. Wily usually abused this aspect and mostly programmed or reprogrammed his robots to feel extreme hatred for Mega Man.

Reploids, on the other hand, do not possess a similar structure in their AI, giving them absolute free will to the same extent as human beings have, which allows them to exist as civilians. This however has led to some Reploids becoming criminals or rebels, which leads to the classification of "Mavericks" ("Irregulars" in the original Japanese versions).

In Megas Canon, I like to think this means that Mega Man evolved from his original limited programming "the burning in your heart, I did not put there/refuse to believe", which may have served as the basis for Light's future reploid designs.

Megaman Megamix wrote:
With the development of robots who were capable of logical thought (albeit limited by their programming) inevitably came situations where those same robots started to act on accord of their own judgment rather than blindly following the orders of humans as their predecessors did. Recognizing the potential danger presented by a prototype with such advanced abilities, Dr. Light included a failsafe feature in Proto Man's design that would prevent him from breaking the Three Laws of Robotics. It was this unfinished failsafe that would later have an unexpected effect on his power generator. Eventually, his "free will" led Proto Man to leave Dr. Light's side, disappearing without a trace. The next time he showed up, he was a combat robot working for Wily.

I remember reading somewhere that Proto Man was programmed with more free will than Mega Man was, and I've always kind of had it in my head that way... but I can't figure out where I got that from.

OfflineProfile
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 8:12 am 
Yellow Devil
Yellow Devil

If I remember right, that was partly due to an unforeseen side affect of his power core malfunctioning, and when Light attempted to repair him, Blues fled fearing he'd lose himself.

OfflineProfile
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 9:28 am 
Sniper Joe
Sniper Joe

Ya I remember reading that Rock and Roll were cleaning robots and it was that 'burning in his heart' that lead Mega Man to volunteer to take up the weapon and suit that Dr. Light had prototyped on Blues when Wily stole the original Robot Masters (Maybe the Manual for MM4?). This clashes, of course, with MM1 where the originals were designed and built after Rock qua Mega Man, who is also stated to be the first human robot.

Though it's easy enough to stargate that whole problem.

OfflineProfile
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 10:01 am 
Telly
Telly

Oh I think they do live by those laws, but In I want to be the one to watch you die Light's go the illegal and unmoral way of deactivating those laws for Rock, so he can do the "order" (If not, then Light's stupid)

And I think Proto was never made with those laws, as he was the first robot master.

OfflineProfile
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 11:07 pm 
* Fox

Megaman does not say the I am more than a machine thing in the Japanese version of MM7. Just "..."

I don't think Light reprogrammed Megaman. But we can't know that for sure from what we were given. But we kinda need to know if he was changed. Megaman says

Quote:
Believe me when I say
If this could end today
I'd do it, I would
For his crimes
Should his life I take

And at the same time he says that he refuses to believe he is nothing more than a machine. Even if these laws existed inside him, Megaman has looked past them.

We aren't debating in the Capcom canon. We know they were programmed with these rules or something similar.

I wrote this fast so idk maybe I screwed my reasoning. I'll fix it at some point.

OfflineProfile
PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 1:01 am 
Dopemaster Smokeabitch

1. robots may not talk shit about street fighter 2
2. robots may not touch spikes unless blinking
3. bitch we be sliding

OfflineProfile
PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 6:53 am 
Scrap Metal

jigger wrote:
2. robots may not touch spikes unless blinking

Unless it's Mega Man 1. In which case, sucks to be Mega.

Seriously, though, I think through the years Mega has evolved in ways that no one could have imagined. Starting with the burning desire to Be The One, evolving to where he could kill Wily. Maybe that's why in MM9 they have expiration dates on robots, so that they don't evolve and become more. And though the official word is that Mega Man is not X, I always thought it would have been better if Mega had evolved to that point of total free will and because of that Dr. Light had to lock him away.

That zero'th law is dangerous as all heck though, because a robot could technically decide that as long as any more than 1 human remains there is a danger to humanity. Heck, even if there's just one, a human is a danger to himself, the one remaining of his species, therefore a danger to all humanity. See "I, Robot."

EDIT:
Something I remembered seeing in one of the Mega Man comics, showing at the least he has some semblance of the Three Laws, and how it can be worked around.

OfflineProfile
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:25 pm 
Spare Nuts and Bolts

To Watch You Die but it is not said how. Previous songs may suggest that the Robot Masters kill. But we'll never know.

OfflineProfile
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 3:10 am 
* Fox

adolfainsley8 wrote:
To Watch You Die but it is not said how. Previous songs may suggest that the Robot Masters kill. But we'll never know.

Great insight.

OfflineProfile
PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 7:32 pm 
Yellow Devil
Yellow Devil

I'm assuming that Dr Light alters Mega's Programing in "To Watch you die". I always saw that song as Light Re-programing Mega, then when the bridge comes up "Son, for one who etc.", It's him informing Mega of the changes he made and explaining his reasons for doing so.

"How can there be peace while two sides stand? You're a machine who calls himself a man. You fight for a dream that can never be, Your arguments are noise, it's time to make your choice!"-Make Your Choice, History Repeating: Red

OfflineProfile
Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 14 posts ]